Friday 17 May 2024

Reviewing Fan-Pokemon: Pokemon Infinite Fusion, Part 5

I do think Infinite Fusion is such a great thing for me to do on my off-time and save as a 'backup' post since it really is just me talking about something I know pretty damn well -- Pokemon -- and just kind of ramble on without not much structure. 

This one is actually a collection of other "oh, this is cool, I want to talk about it" fusions that I am collecting while I'm working on other articles. The next one'll be our first laser-focused one on Porygon, and I think I'll do a Mimikyu one after that. But hey, for now, enjoy the results of random ecclectic shuffling! 

Again, copy-pasted from the previous parts: I did a more in-depth explanation of the fusion process in the first review. Basically, the Infinite Fusion calculator has two different combinations, with one Pokemon as the body, and the other Pokemon as the head + colours, and vice-versa. But the most interesting ones are the crowdsourced custom sprites for the fusions, the bulk of which is what we'll be talking about here!
____________________________________________

And we're starting off with two very cool ones! Both Tentacruel/Victreebel fusions here are so fucking weird! I've always considered the two of them to rank very highly among 'favourite Pokemon from the original 151'. The blue one on the left has more Victreebel than Tentacruel, having the giant pitcher body as a bell. I love that you can see the upside-down fangs as an actual lower jaw, though, now that the leaf that covers the pitcher is replaced with Tentacruel's entire jellyfish 'hat', complete with eyes. There are some red tentacles going on, but the one most distinctive feature has to be the transplantation of Tentacruel's two giant fangs into horns that jut out through the two faux-eye orbs. I'm not sure how this biologically even makes sense, but it looks fucking cool. 

The one on the left is a bit more subdued, but only in comparison. We put Victreebel's pitcher-mouth on top of Tentacruel's jellyfish head, and put Victreebel's colour scheme onto Tentacruel. It's cool! Yellow demon jellyfishes look as cool as blueones! But I like that they turned two of Tentacruel's tentacles into leaf-tipped vines (almost like a squid's capture tentacles), but also randomly added two more vines on either side of the 'cap' which end up, from a distance, looking like an almost humanoid silhouette. 


Mew/Paras here just looks so... wacky. I'm not sure what I like the most about this. Is it Paras's monstrous bug-mouth under Mew's adorable anime eyes? Look at those angry eyebrows. Is it the fact that Mewras here still maintains Paras's cicada nymph body, but just with a tail that extends below it? Is it the shade of purple they use for Paras's mushrooms? The end result even looks like a weird floating psychic dream-scorpion, which I thought was a nice little side-effect of combining the two designs. 

Slugma/Monferno is, uh... an interesting one. I'm slightly uncomfortable with how he looks, but I really like the end result. Slugma's big bug-out slug eyes on a monkey body is cute enough, but they went to some nice effort imagining a monkey with goopy magma dripping off his body. I like that the tail's expanded into a plume of smoke as well. 


Not all fusions have to be super-duper innovative. Darkrai/Horsea is pretty cute, just a nice transplantation of Darkrai's colours onto Horsea. The colours work, and we get enough little details moved here like Darkrai's wispy cloud hair and his ring of red spikes which kind of work on Horsea as a coral necklace or something. 

Magneton/Latios here just looks cool. Real Pokemon tend to really shy away from straight-up 'robot animals', with the exception of recent Paradox Pokemon, but I really like the fusion here. There's not much of Magneton's design other than the colours and the red/blue horn-tips, to be honest, but the spriter used Magneton as an excuse to give Latios some neat-looking electromagnetic gauntlets and neon-blue and neon-yellow lights. Latios already has a somewhat jet-esque design in the first place, and giving him some additional robotic aspects does fit him pretty well!


Cofagrigus/Ivysaur here is pretty neat! Most of Ivysaur's proper body is patterned after the pharaoh coffin that Cofagrigus's main body is made up of, but the head is wrapped up in mummy bandages with creepy glowing ghost eyes beneath. Instead of a vibrant flower, Ivygrigus here has a dead-looking gray flower that looks like it's transported from the underworld or something. There's a bit more of an artistic liberty taken with this fusion, but I mean that in all the best ways possible. 

I don't even know what's going on with Unown/Omanyte here, or if this is even a reference to something -- but I know it looks creepy and I like it. It reminds me of the Las Plagas parasites from Resident Evil 4. 


The other Raticate/Doduo fusion is just a Doduo with Raticate heads plopped on to it. This one is much more cursed-looking, though. We still have two Doduo heads, but instead of sprouting from the same neck, one head replaces the rat face entirely, and the other sprouts from the tail. It's not a groundbreaking design, but the more I look at Raticaduo here the more I am disturbed. 

I don't know why I like this Scizor/Magnemite fusion so much. He looks like an enemy you'd fight in a MegaMan level or, like, a generic 'alien ship minion' in an episode of a modern cartoon. It's single eye just looks so pissed, and I like that Scizor's claws are replacing Magnemite's magnets. 


Another one that looks like a video game enemy is Beldum/Pawniard here, who looks like a fucking ghoul in a fantasy-golem themed game. Pawniard's body gets made a bit stockier and the arms made a bit longer, but it's Beldum's singular eye transplanted in place of Pawniard's regular anime head that completes the look. I also like that the 'spikes' that tend to be Beldum's "afterburners" end up reinterpreted into spiky feet. 

Spinarak/Nidorino is just here as another rather pleasant fusion. Nidorino's body design is already a weird mixture of reptiles and mammals, but you just slap on a bug head on it and the end result just looks so freaking weird. I like it. 


Absol/Pinsir here is kind of a more 'obvious' fusion, but I do like how the fur on Absol ends up covering chunks of the mainly still Pinsir-based body. It's like the creepy fuzz on a moth or something. The head's a pretty neat amalgamation of both faces, but my favourite has to be the very DMC-looking set of blood-tipped horns. 

Kingdra/Mamoswine looks like such a goober! Not all fusions have to look super-cool or super-cute or super-creepy. I love the goofy ones too, and Kingswine here has such a fun head, with the seahorse head being translated as the nose and there being a whale jaw. I guess whales are the elephants of the ocean? Interestingly, neither Kingdra nor Mamoswine has got a visible long jaw!

I've always thought that Corsola was ripe for a regional variant, with the sheer amount of undersea corals. We did get one in Galar with an interesting twist of dead coral, but Corsola/Shuckle here works amazingly well. The pink one on the left is a very pleasant one, since Shuckle is already a design that brings to mind like, pipefish or eels or worms. So combining both designs and making it feel like this Corsockle fused design is like, a colony of eels living within a bunch of pink corals under the sea is just pleasant.

The reverse version on the right (Shucksola, I guess) is a bit more depressing, with the implication that the Shuckle has parasitized the Corsola and has killed it with the x-eyes. The Shuckle seems happy, though. I like the red-and-yellow colours on the coral horns. 


I truthfully started to write a paragraph about Reuniclus/Ninjask here like, two or three times, but I kept stopping because I didn't know where to start. It just looks cool, okay? This just feels like some kind of monstrous, truly alien bugs instead of just "make a spider or a mantis but with more joints". 

Solosis/Mamoswine is an interesting one. It's dripping slimy cytoplasm, and the implication is that almost the entirety of the mammoth body is made out of Solosis matter. But what made me realyl like it is the black eyes of Solosis stretched out to fit Mamoswine's regular eyes. 


Mawile/Volcarona here looks pretty insane! I'm not sure with almost elmininating the bug legs (there are almost stubs on the furry thorax) and giving the wings almost no detail, but I do really like the creativity in translating Mawile's giant set of chompers into a bug abdomen that splits apart. 

Can we just appreciate how cursed Genesect/Lickilicky is? Putting Lickilicky's goofy-ass head on Genesect's body is already wacky enough, but Lickilicky's mouth doesn't survive the fusion. His tongue does, though, and it extends out of Genesect's giant sci-fi bug backpack cannon for some reason. Look at it. Look at how nasty this thing looks. Can you imagine? You're approached by this giant pink bug-creature with baby eyes and no mouth. It's already mean-looking, but then the Transformer cannon on its back starts to lock into place and power up. You think it's going to shoot bullets, or flames, or lightning, or plasma, or something... and then a big gross tongue comes out to lick you.


Hypno/Magikarp here is a bit cursed, and I'm not the biggest fan of that horrifying face, but I love the little creativity of having Magikarp's whiskers be the strings to Hypno's hypnotism pendulums. 

I also just really like Weepinbell/Venonat here. Again, this feels a lot like it's going to be an enemy in like a Metroid game or some other platformer, but I like how easy it was to make Weepinbell's design a bit creepier by giving it Venonat's compound eyes, massive fangs and the dark purple colours. The fuzz around Weepinbell's main body also gives the impression of a particularly aggressive carnivorous plant monster. 



I do find this kinda interesting. Donphan/Spiritomb here interprets Donphan's body as the entire 'Odd Keystone', with the nose being the hole that the Spiritomb entity pours out of. I also assume that the Donphan body is like, a golem? Did the Spiritomb possess a Donphan, or did it happen that the Keystone is carved in the shape of a Donphan? Like the green cracks of fel energy that are visibly seeping out of Donphan's body as well. 

A lot of the Doublade fusions just have the base Pokemon dual-wield the two swords, which is pretty disappointing. That's not a fusion, that's equipping a friend! Krabby/Doublade here got the assignment, though. Krabby's two claws have been replaced with more sword-y ones, he's now only got the single eyeball of a Doublade unit, and the two head-horns taper off into the sword tassels. The end result and the combination of colours are all pretty fetching too!


This is Moltres/Dugtrio. Is it particularly creative? Not really. Does it even make sense that Articuno and Zapdos show up? Eh. But the sprite is cute as hell and I love it and I knew I needed to include it here. 

Most of the Dugtrio fusions that have Dugtrio as the basis have three of the same heads popping out of the ground. But Hitmonlee/Dugtrio go for a fun one by having three Hitmonlee legs stretch out of the ground. 


Right, Tangela also deserves an article of its own. This is Tangela/Nidorina, and I love that the end result looks less like a fusion of the two, but more of a Tangela that's reconstructed its vines to form the shape that approximates a Nidorina. Love that there's only one eye for no real reason. 

Octillery/Forretress just makes it into an organic version of those spider-tanks that show up a lot in sci-fi. I like that! I like that Octillery's tentacles have merged with the chunks of Forretress's armour. I actually do think that this is honestly something taht they could do in the future as a potential Octillery evolution -- you go from a revolver to tank to a walking sci-fi tank.



Quagsire/Hypno here is just kind of disturbing. I'm not sure what unsettles me more. The giant pendulum coin that's growing out of his head, that utterly creepy combination of Quagsire's simple facial features and Hypno's tengu nose, Hypno's now weirdly clown/fish-fin shaped neckpiece, or the random eyeball on his hand. 

Paras/Yanmega is a pretty cool fusion. I love the colour of Paras's mushrooms being translated onto the texture of Yanmega's wings. I also like how Paras's two large, stabby forelimbs are also transplanted onto Yanmega, making him look even more predatory. But the one thing that makes this design for me is giving a happy Paras expression. He looks just so pleased to exist and hang out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment