However, a bright glowing light shows up, and drives Gengar off in fear (and tears, as revealed later). Okay, that's a bit random! It is also a bit random because I'm trying to save the world from a meteor, I think trying to 'expose' my true nature or whatever isn't something that you should be focusing on, Gengar. But the whole point of his character is that he's petty and obsessed with reputation, so okay.
Gardevoir appears and gives me a bunch of revelations. Turns out that my purpose was to deal with this meteor, which is a fair bit less mystical than I thought it would be. And I don't want to be too harsh on a children's video game released more than two decades ago, but there are a lot of bizarre plot holes here. Gardevoir notes that the original 'me', the human, was selected because of some quality that would allow me to save the world from the meteor. Fair enough, typical isekai stuff. But then it leads to the question of the 'human world' and 'Pokemon world' that has never really been properly explained. The Pokemon in the Mystery Dungeon world clearly know what a 'human' is, and apparently one of their key legends involves a human, a Gardevoir and a Ninetales interacting with each other. A legend that is proven to be true and no one acts surprised that it's true. So at what point did the humans and Pokemon started to diverge?
Gardevoir then also explains that at the end of this purpose, after dealing with the meteor, I can return to my world... but that would also mean parting with Bulbasaur. I am sad at this, and Gardevoir talks about how she, too, has to part and be separated with someone she was once close with, but meetings and partings are just a way of life. It's at this point that Gardevoir realizes someone is spying on the dream... and that interloper, Gengar, has ran away crying.
Yep, again, without spoiling a 20-year-old game, all of this feels like it would've made for a much stronger emotional hook than whatever that was. Oh well!
As I head into Sky Tower, Alakazam and Xatu are sitting on Xatu's peak waiting for me. They tell me that the two of them created something called the Teleport Orb... and they also had help from a very shy Ghost-type Pokemon. Aww, Gengar! I mean, he's still scum, honestly, but at least he's helping out. The teleport orb lands us... in the middle of nowhere in the sky, leading to a comical scene where Mudkip and Bulbasaur fall several dozen feet until they land onto clouds that we can walk on. Any explanations to why these clouds are walkable, One-Piece or James-and-the-Giant-Peach style? No, no real explanations. My garlic frog and mudskipper boy can just walk on it just because.
...Forretress.
Yes. The Pokemon based on a bagworm, a type of caterpillar. And not just that, also one that's covered itself in steel, and also has a visual resemblance to mollusks. Yes. Hundreds of feet above the ground, in a remote location where only those gifted with the powers of flight can reach, my first encounter is a metallic bomb bagworm.
You know what? I'm not even mad. It's so funny, I can't be angry at it.
Other Pokemon on this altitude are all Flying-types or are beings that levitate. I do get that they don't want everything here to be Flying-types, hence we've got hovering ghosts like Duskull and Shuppet, or levitating Pokemon like Weezing, Sorlock and Lunatone. But Forretress? Really?
Sky Tower stands a whopping 36 floors, and I really do like the Pokemon population as we go up. Anything that floats or has wings are fair game, so we've got Scizor, Venomoth, Claydol... not sure about the Dusclops, though. Altaria, the dragon-bird made out of clouds, is perhaps the one that's the most sensible to see around.
Perhaps the most dangerous ones to me, however, are Tropius and Flygon, who just plain hit really, really hard and infest the upper half of the dungeon. Tropius is particularly dangerous to me because I run Mudkip as my main Pokemon; while Flygons just deal a lot of area damage in general.
And, of course, at the topmost part of the tower is... Rayquaza himself.
And just like all the legendary birds, Rayquaza is on a 'fight first, ask questions later' mentality. His pre-boss fight banter is a rather interesting one, where Rayquaza gives this huge rant about how he has spent the last hundred thousand years in the skies, and creatures on the ground should know their place -- just like how he knows his place in the sky. A bit different for you to get on ground when you're perpetually floating, Rayquaza, but oh well.
The fight against Rayquaza, I felt, was a fair bit easier than Groudon was. The grinding I did before Sky Tower and through Sky Tower probably helped a fair bit, but Mudkip knowing the 4x effective Ice Beam is most certainly a major factor of why it went a bit easier.
There is a bit of a gimmick with the Rayquaza fight where sometimes some tiles light up, indicating that a massive gust of wind is about to blow through... but with two of my three party members knowing moves that can hit Rayquaza from anywhere on the battlefield, it really is just a matter of endurance, spamming Tiny Reviver Seeds and Oran Berries, and just chipping away at Rayquaza. He's also got a pretty neat special animation showing off his Hyper Beam attacks.
Ultimately, Rayquaza falls. And just like the legendary birds, Rayquaza shows that he's not actually done yet, and he's about to charge his Hyper Beam. Before he fires, however, an earthquake -- or rather, a skyquake -- shocks everyone present. Rayquaza is a bit confused about it until Bulbasaur yells at him to look up... and there's a meteor falling down from the skies! It's a really huge meteor, too, and some angles in the cutscenes make it look like it's larger than entire mountains.
The shock waves from the meteor launch Mudkip and Bulbasaur away... and I cut off to Mudkip in a strange, white smoky plane. Mudkip immediately identify this as him being turned into a 'spirit'. Which means it's the damned afterlife. Right, rather unexpectedly in a game that still mostly plays around the PG-13 rules of Pokemon, we get to see Mudkip in purgatory, in the border between life and death.
We then get into a bit of a celebratory moment. Xatu notes how the meteor disappearing is going to make the calamities and natural disasters slowly dissipate. The supporting cast gets all happy about it, and there's a bit of a joke about everyone trying to get Lombre held in place so Blastoise could shoot him with a Hydro Pump. It feels a bit odd and a bit too long, especially since Lombre is such a flat character that I'm not sure why he's being bullied like that.
As I turn into a ball of spirit-light and float up into the sky, some of the more mature characters like Alakazam and Xatu try to comfort Bulbasaur, saying that Mudkip probably feels just as sad, and there was no real way to communicate it during the adventure. They also reiterate how saving the meteor was the purpose of why I came to the Pokemon world. Most of the characters get a line or two of dialogue, although the only memorable one is Shiftry, who bemoans never really managing to thank me.
And at that point, as my spirit floats into the sky and the rest of the world of Pokemon mourn my passing, I hear 'voices' -- of whom the game doesn't indicate who -- talking about how my friend is heartbroken, how Bulbasaur is a true friend, and perhaps someday, we'll meet again.
And at that point, as my spirit floats into the sky and the rest of the world of Pokemon mourn my passing, I hear 'voices' -- of whom the game doesn't indicate who -- talking about how my friend is heartbroken, how Bulbasaur is a true friend, and perhaps someday, we'll meet again.
Then the credits roll. It's completely just words, and I really feel this would've been a lot nicer with like even generic screenshots of the adventures that Mudkip and Bulbasaur has been. As it is, a long unskippable credits scene isn't the best thing to sit through.
The end! Though not really, cause the game made sure to tell me that there are a lot more post-game content to deal with, please don't leave.
But that's it for now from me for Mystery Dungeon DX. It's been a great, fun ride. I never had the chance to play Mystery Dungeon back in the GBA/DS days, since I never managed to find the cartridge for sale; and by the time I had some savings of my own, Mystery Dungeon was nowhere to be found on the shelves. The only way I could enjoy this wacky spinoff had been through strategy guides and the Ginji's Rescue Team manga, and I've seen my friend play through some parts of the story. It's always been fascinating to me that this is a world where we cut away the human portions, and focus fully on having the Pokemon as characters, something that I genuinely didn't realize I needed until I discovered the world of Mystery Dungeon.
That said, how do I feel about the game? Knowing a lot of the story beats already, none of the plot twists (other than that there's a final level post-Groudon) are particularly new to me, so that is something that might've influenced my opinion on this game. I would also note how grindy the game is, and the gameplay cycle really isn't something that I enjoyed anywhere as much as any of the mainline Pokemon games... or maybe I'm just an old fart now. There are also many aspects of the story where the drama just doesn't hit, particularly everything revolving the 'main mission' of me being isekai'd, who are the powers that isekai'd me, and the specific connections to the human world...
But ultimately, those are relatively minor complaints. I did truly enjoy the chance to play through this game and the story, and while I don't think I like the gameplay enough to fully complete the post-game -- I'll probably take a crack at some of the early missions -- I am happy to say that I at least completed the main story! So yes, until next time!
Random Notes:
- I will probably do the post-game which leads up to a bunch of revelations about the Ninetales legend at some point... but not right now. I'm not the biggest fan of the Mystery Dungeon gameplay cycle and the novelty has definitely worn off. I do want to take a break from the game and work through my list of other games -- Metroid Prime and Legends of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom are two Nintendo ones I do want to get through -- and so I might do a bit of a 'post-script'. Or I might not. I haven't done one for Shining Pearl, have I?
- The name Gardevoir has its root words in French, so in the past couple of dreams she has been signing off with au revoir, which I thought is cute.
- Another Pokemon that shows up in the Sky Tower is Dusclops, which... doesn't make the most sense either, but at least its pre-evolution Duskull flies up and there's a slight bit of Ghost-type theme on the middle-lower floors.
- But seriously, I depended quite a bit on Mudkip's Ice Beam. I brought some extra Max Ethers just to reload Mudkip's Ice Beams!
- Another type of items I haven't been using properly are the orbs. I think I used a Petrify Orb in one of the later levels in Sky Tower, and a Power-Up Orb in the Rayquaza fight... I just am one of those gamers that just hoard all the consumables for fear of using them, I suppose.
- I do know what Gengar's deal is, but since his story apparently all happens in the post-game, a lot of what he's doing in the main story really does end up feeling a bit like it comes out of nowhere, doesn't it?
No comments:
Post a Comment