Friday 27 October 2017

One Piece 883 Review: Dog Jaw

One Piece, Chapter 883: Merienda


Um... okay? As much as I'm happy that we're devoting an entire chapter to the Luffy/Katakuri fight as opposed to having each chapter go from one set of the cast to another, I really don't think that this is the best usage of page-time. Katakuri having a literal break from the fight to eat donuts in a mochi shrine without properly killing off or subduing Luffy, and then revealing that he actually has an extendable lower jaw and he eats snacks lying down despite his whole "my back has never touched the ground" thing... yeah. I'm not really sure that was necessary. It's a character quirk that, while I don't hate (sewn-shut mouth Katakuri actually looks quite cool) but I'm not really a big fan of how the fight itself was randomly interrupted for this. We have an angry Katakuri fighting against Gear Fourth Luffy, of course, but why can't we just have that at the beginning of this chapter? I dunno. The tension in this fight -- which has already been inconsistent due to the constant interruptions -- has just died out completely for me.

EDIT: I have some extra complaints about this chapter. Before you ask -- no, I don't mind having villains be funny at times. That's one thing that One Piece does well. But at the same time, we didn't really need this to interrupt the fight at all. And doesn't Katakuri have an ability to see into the future? So why didn't he see that Luffy is still alive and will attack? Unless it's tied to his consumption of sweets regularly, which I feel is a bit of a weird limitation that came out of nowhere.

Also, credit where credit's due, I did like how Katakuri interrupts Luffy's attempt to do Gear Fourth by just slamming him down with mochi and talking about how he's not underestimating Luffy like the rest of the Big Mom pirates. It doesn't really mean that I like the chapter all that much, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment