Saturday 11 November 2017

One Piece 885 Mini-Review: Plot Crash

One Piece, Chapter 885: It's Brulee


So, part of me is kind of pissed off that we're interrupting the fight yet again, which never got finished, with what appears to be a gag as Luffy's powers ran out of steam and he ends up getting away with Brulee, but at least he gets away from Katakuri in front of Big Mom, so he's trading one big fight for another. We don't actually get that much beyond that. We get some neat displays of Katakuri's donut-hands, Luffy's monologuing ended up causing Katakuri to take advantage of his haki-less 10 minutes, we get some neat power displays from Perospero and Amande... and I think some of the kitchen stuff in the last couple of pages that I admit I didn't even actually read the dialogue of.

Overall... yeah. As much as I like the 'everything is going on at the same time' deal they're having with the Big Mom Pirates, I also kind of feel that they really could've at least given us a proper fight between Luffy and Katakuri dragged out to the end. So yeah. Another chapter that feels more of a symptom of poor pacing, I'm afraid. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm gonna be honest, Luffy telling Katakuri about his g4 weakness was pretty dumb and unnecessary. I mean, cmon, it would've been better if Katakuri simply came to this conclusion due to his future visions.

    One thing that I liked is that, at first, it looked like Brulle was hanging around the mirror world because plot induced stupidity and such, but then we see Big Mon's rampage on the real world, so yeah, it makes sense she was still there. Or at least that's what I got from that scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno, though. Brulee can teleport to any mirror in Totto-Land, and Big Mom's only rampaging on one island, the nut island. So there's literally no reason for her not to disappear into some other island so as to properly trap Luffy in the mirror dimension with Katakuri. Although Brulee being around is certainly the most plot-induced stupidity in this chapter.

      Honestly, so much of the fight between Luffy and Katakuri is so badly paced and so badly handled that I really feel that if it was shortened to only take place over the course of 2 chapters instead of the half-dozen we got it'd be far, far more impactful.

      Delete
    2. Can Brulle teleport like that? I thought she had to walk inside the mirror world to teleport to other places. I don't quite remember if that's the case, though.

      About the fight, yeah, I agree. I guess Oda/ his editor think that he must cut and drag fights so that it goes along with other less interestings subplots and make the chapter balanced. It can work, but It happens so many times and so often it's annoying.

      Delete
    3. I honestly don't mind little cutaways to other sub plots... if they're interesting. And this certainly isn't. I don't think it's as bad as Dressrosa since the part of the plot that really feels bad is the post-wedding stuff. And among that, the only outright "stop showing me this" is the Pudding stuff, which are relatively minimal compared to the many plot threads I wish were cut out of Dressrosa. but the pacing in both Dressrosa and Big Mom arcs are definitely out of whack.

      RE: Brulee... I mean go through one of any of the other mirrors. I mean, Luffy and Katakuri have been fighting for quite some time and there's literally no reason for her to be there.

      Delete