Friday 24 November 2017

One Piece 886 Review: Exploding Ovens

One Piece, Chapter 886: This Ish My Way of Living


(Briefly taken down and uploaded because it wasn't complete.)

Not a particularly super-awesome chapter of One Piece, I must admit, but at least we're moving things forward. Again, I've expressed my discontent with the whole 'make a cake' portion of the manga, while at the same time acknowledging that it's something that we kind of need to see happen. I'm not sure if it needed to be prolonged this long, though, and I'm not a big fan of shoving Charlotte Pound into the whole mess for what appears to be minimal payoff. Like, it is a pretty fucking awesome scene with Sanji basically moving so fast that he's teleporting and kicking Oven in the face, using Pound as cover... but did we really need another rogue element thrown into the whole mess, when so many others -- Germa 66 and CP-0 being the most prominent -- not being properly explored?

Thankfully Capone is one that I'm happy to see come back. Oven isn't a particularly interesting villain, and he instantly gets to be made unlikable by his beating up of Chiffon... so seeing him get his face kicked by Sanji, and later blown the fuck up by one of Capone's gun is amazing. Also can I just say how badass it was for Capone to come back for his wife? The whole Big Mom Pirates thing really seems to be sinister and scary with how the children are married off to powerful pirate crews, but Chiffon and Bege's relationship is actually pretty sweet.

And, well, I certainly wouldn't have pegged Capone to be one of the most important Supernovas out of the ten when we were first introduced. His castle powers were weird back then, but I didn't think he would be as important as the likes of Law, Kidd, Drake or Hawkins -- the obvious 'cool important' dudes of the bunch. To see Capone instead be the second most developed Supernova after Law in the previous arc is certainly a surprise, so One Piece certainly did right in that direction.

And I suppose I also have to give the manga credit for giving Sanji something to do, and while kicking Oven in the face isn't the most epic of things to do, at this point anything's better than nothing.

Oh, there's a bit of foreshadowing about something with the full moon with Minks, so we're getting like some weird werewolf thing or whatever? I don't really care -- Carrot power-ups are cool. Just don't make this the way that Pedro magically comes back, please.

That's honestly the majority of the content in this chapter, though. There's a bit at the end about Luffy talking about how he wants to beat all of Katakuri at his full strength, and gives us a bit of an introdump that both his and Katakuri's haki powers need to recharge, but it does leave a sour taste in my mouth that, well, all the chapters and time we spent on the earlier Katakuri fight was just a poorly-paced prelude. And honestly, there's not much excuse for that fight to go so long and be relatively un-exciting if it's merely meant to be a prelude.

So yeah. Maybe part of my frustration is simply because I really think One Piece is in a really bad place, pacing-wise, but I definitely really feel that this chapter could've gone a lot better. A lot of people are super-excited simply because Capone is fighting Oven, but really -- the thought of like more of the same quality of chapters instead of actually progressing really makes me wish Luffy just abandons his fight for Katakuri for a future fight and we're just done with Whole Cake Island. 

No comments:

Post a Comment