Wednesday 1 April 2015

Fairy Tail 426 Review: Natsu's Sixth Sense

Fairy Tail, Chatper 426: Blackheart


Okay, I'm honestly confused about Natsu's sixth sense and general 'I know what I am doing' aura. It just feels so weird coming off him. I mean, I know his dragon sense is supposed to be heightened compared to normal people, but still, it's like he's got some kind of plot radar that he can arrive at every single required location just at the right time. Anyway, this chapter opens with that... dude doing something with animals. Nab? Rab? Something. The dude with giant lips and the American-Indian theme and the skull necklace who I don't think ever did jack shit beyond hanging around Max and Warren as Fairy Tail's least distinctive characters.

Lucy apparently did some digging about Avatar a while back, and Natsu finally comes clean to Happy and Lucy about the fact that he found out about all this from Future Rogue... something that's bothering me for a while. If Natsu is sure about Future Rogue's words and that Gray will kill Frosch and all that, why not tell Gray? Or Rogue? Or someone? Lucy brings it up but all we get is one and a half pages of Natsu saying some reassuring thing that's just generic 'trust me because friendship'. And Lucy buys it because why not it freaking works all the time in this setting.

That doesn't really make sense, but a majority of the chapter is focused on the wacky members of Avatar just talking... and I really don't find them to be really interesting, to be honest. They look cool and weird, sure, but I could say that about Grimoire Heart and Tartaros when they first showed up, and really out of them not too many really felt like threats in-universe. We see priest Arlock, the dude with the metal mask and the pointy mustache, who is just praying and doesn't like it when people disturb his praying. Handsome dude with Tempesta-esque hair is called Jerome, apparently. Dark-skinned girl with revealing clothes is called Briar, and her little character quirk is nicknaming people. The kawaii energetic girl who will definitely turn good because nearly all female villains will turn good is called Mary. The dude with giant stabby eyebrows is Goumon and there's some pun involving his name. He's also got 'Green Tea' tattooed on his forehead. Robot dude is D6, and creepy puppet boy is Abel.

Everyone takes turn saying a line of dialogue or two, before they decide there's a mole from the Magic Council, and apparently in however long that Gray has stuck around Avatar (around a month, I think, that Gray left Juvia?), and despite Jerome investigating all about Gray's backstory and whatnot, they never thought to ask him "hey, why do you join a Zeref cult?" Really, you'd think they would be wary about anyone who isn't all HAIL ZEREF from the get-go.

Gray is apparently after the Book of END to... return Ultear to her nice hourglass body or some shit? And the Avatar people just lets him go after he does this big rather Sasuke-ish 'I will hang out with vile villains if that means I can achieve my vengeance-related goals' speech. Really? Gray makes it clear that he wants to steal Zeref's big plot device book and the cult of Zeref just doesn't give a fuck? I have a feeling they won't stick around too long.

Meanwhile, a squad of council members arrive, apparently the Council Forcible Arrest Squad... led by Gajeel and Pantherlily. And that is a change that kind of makes sense, actually. And I do think that Gajeel won't be won over with some mushy talk like Wendy was. I do really like Gajeel -- great design, great attitude in general and haven't really made me curl up my mouth with friendship speeches. So yeah. Can't say I'm really excited about this arc, but Gajeel is certainly making me kind of happy inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment