Thursday 8 June 2017

Pokemon: Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon Announcement Reaction Thing

A couple of days ago, Nintendo announced the sequels to Sun and Moon. Serebii has the news announcement if you're interested, but we're getting, well, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. The announcement was more geared towards Pokken stuff which I don't super care about, with the Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon stuff tacked at the end. We don't really know much about the games, other than it's set for a November 2017 release. The screenshots kind of showed us some generic shots of the trainer, starters, Pikachu, Mimikyu and Togedemaru...  and these weird-looking fusions of Solgaleo and Lunala with Necrozma.

Not much is known about them, though if I had to guess, they're going to be relatively similar to the Black Zekrom/Black Kyurem thing, only instead of Kyurem being the 'main' Pokemon, it looks like Necrozma gets turned into armour bits, Digimon style, for Lunala and Solgaleo.

Not a super big fan of either of their designs, if I'm being honest -- Solgaleo in particular looks very messy, while Lunala is passable. The actual in-game models thankfully look a little better, but not by much.

Not sure what else I have to comment. It's just an announcement, we don't know if it's an Emerald-style remake with additional plot details, or a sequel like Black 2/White 2. Hopefully either way, we get extra lore about the Ultra Beasts and stuff, and more things like additional Mega Evolutions and Alolan Forms, and not just these two forms.

I'm super glad it's not a Switch-exclusive sequel, because I don't have that thing. Also I'm actually relieved it's not another Diamond/Pearl remake, because as much as I love Sinnoh, really I think they should just kind of give remakes a bit of a rest. Generation III was the last of the Game-Boy era games before they moved to the DS, and Diamond, Pearl and Platinum are honestly still pretty legit games even now, so remaking them wouldn't have been super productive in my opinion, and even then Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's remake is way, way more drastic than the Generation I and II remakes, what with stuff like extra mega evolutions, Delta Episode and a divergent storyline and all. Because unless they have a big reason to do remakes of Sinnoh, I don't think they really should.

Apparently a lot of people are super-duper upset that they're not getting, what, Pokemon Stars for the Nintendo Switch? Which... I don't think was actually announced officially, and it's just some fan theory thing that took root? How the hell do people get off on being angry at someone's "leak" apparently being false? Like, seriously. In any case, Pokemon has always been a handheld game first and foremost, with none of Nintendo's previous 'big game' consoles like the SNES, Wii, GameCube or Wii-U getting any sort of main Pokemon title. So, I legitimately don't get the anger. Is Switch legitimately hurting for good games? Is that the big problem?

So, yeah, tentatively excited, I guess. And to tie in with this announcement, I guess I'll be doing Pokemon of the Week more regularly? We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment