Saturday 3 November 2018

BlizzCon 2018: REIGN OF FIRE REIGN OF FIRE REIGN OF FIRE REIGN OF FIRE



HAHAHAHA

I never thought that I would be so excited for the announcement of a remaster of a game I've played like, shit, I don't know, way too many times. Or some shit.

And yeah, Blizzcon has the announcement of some World of Warcraft update, some new heroes for Heroes and Overwatch, a troll expansion for Hearthstone, a Diablo mobile spinoff...

But fuck it, not even a troll Hearthstone expansion can compete with the huge bomb they dropped randomly in the middle of the BlizzCon, which is a GOD DAMN REMASTER OF WARCRAFT III.

EDIT: IT INCLUDES FROZEN THRONE TOO HAHAHAHAHA! I would've been perfectly fine with just Reign of Chaos, honestly, and if they had wanted to do the Frozen Throne add-on as a separate game? Oh my god, what the hell!

Holy shit, I was not expecting that. Granted, I've not been looking at any sort of Blizzard news outside of Hearthstone (and watched the opening ceremony mostly for that if we're being honest), but holy shit, when that one shot of the torn red flag on the beginning of the Reign of Chaos cinematic showed up, I really just bolted upright and went "wait, whaaaaat"


So yeah. They are remastering Warcraft III in new HD graphics, and my god, it just looks glorious. All the familiar music beats, all the familiar graphics and units...

Honestly, I've never felt this emotional about the release of a fucking game before. I don't know. Warcraft III is a game I've played so much as a child and I really, really love it so much -- even when it branched out into (and defined) a genre that I don't particularly like, I still stuck with the world for the simple beautiful one that was crafted by Warcraft III.

And now, to see that same game revisited with updated (but thankfully faithful) graphics, done in the Heroes of the Storm art style? My god, I honestly just got super duper excited. Look at this! They're even updating the Frozen Throne expansion! Look at how fucking pretty everything looks! And yeah World of Warcraft may have done it before but I DON'T CARE.

Look at this comparison, it's a labour of love. (I also appreciate that they used the newer Infernal/Abyssal model from Legion that actually looks like the Warcraft III model and not the lumpy, ugly original one with the tube hands)

Anyway, fuck, I'm just so happy. I'll probably show up later today with a more coherent post about Hearthstone trolls and loas and whatnot, and that Diablo mobile game is definitely something I'll be playing but above it all? Reign of Fire, motherfuckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment