Monday 3 December 2018

One Piece 926 Review: The Expected Alliance

One Piece, Chapter 926: The Prisoner Mine


After the huge hype-train that was the past couple of chapters, we return to a bit of a calmer chapter of One Piece. I don't mind the early bits that's just world-building, which is kinda cool as we get to see Usopp and Law's two subordinates contact other members of the samurai and their allies (and some foreshadowings of new players and names) but I don't really get excited for brief glimpses of character designs instead of characters. Not to say that I don't dislike that, though I really do feel that the Wano arc has been building up a lot of random exposition and characters without giving us much reason to care about them as people. I bet it's probably going to work better when read as a tankobon, but so far I remain utterly apathetic that so-and-so the manslayer is being talked by the populace. 

We get a weird Nami/Shinobu team-up where Shinobu makes a gigantic ass of herself, and I'm... I'm not the biggest fan, honesty. Meanwhile, Sanji's... making noodles. 

We then cut away to the prison where Luffy and Kid, despite wearing seastone cuffs, are still able to move around giant blocks of bricks as they are forced to work. And they're both boisterous eaters, and are super-competitive, and ends up coming into conflict with the grotesque hippo smile user Doron, who is... well, his design is gloriously bizarre. But the Luffy/Kid alliance has been pretty obviously foreshadowed. It's done kinda well here, I suppose, but I really can't find too much to talk about the chapter or the alliance beyond that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment