Wednesday 11 November 2020

Let's Play Pokemon Sword: Crown Tundra, Part 6: Tournament Redux

Okay, so apparently the Ultra Beast stuff isn't actually a scripted, definitive meeting, and it just... adds the Ultra Beasts into the pool of possible final legendaries? Sure. I also find out that I think it doesn't really matter what ball you use against the legendaries, which does admittedly take out a lot of the frustrations that I had with the terrible catch-rates with the Gigantamax max raid battles. So yeah, casual premier ball and poke ball captures for all these legendaries! I also caught a Tapu Koko, a Landorus and a Tornadus. The Landorus was a huge doo-doo asshole with Air Cutter and Heat Wave hitting the entire party. I'm honestly not sure how I actually managed to beat him. These Max Adventures are all right to do when you're not staring at the screen and just have the Switch next to your computer when you're working or something, I suppose. 

Also, Hoenn starters show up! And they can have special abilities! I ended up foregoing the Tapu Koko (who I had to do a second run to get) just to get a Speed Boost Blaziken. I'm not sure how often the hidden abilities show up in these max adventure lair max dungeons, but I'm not going to risk that this is actually a 5% encounter or some shit. 

As usual, the terrible AI does make it hard for me to progress a lot, and I got wiped out by a Tapu Koko a couple of times. I did basically sweep through an entire raid with a Relicanth, though, managing to get a regular Articuno. Generally I feel like the AI is just programmed to use whatever support moves they have first, even though it doesn't really matter (i.e. using Reflect against a special-attacking Pokemon) and they tend to always want to keep a support Pokemon in the quartet. So... yeah, sometimes it's a bit of an interesting effort trying to make sure they don't go for terrible Pokemon by taking them on my own and leaving the sort of "I have all offensive moves" pokemon for the AI mooks to take. 

I also find out that I can only keep up to three legendary locations written down by the doorkeeper scientist. There's also a doctor that lets me go off on an endless max adventure to spam for Dynite Ore. No thank you to that, though I suppose anyone who wants to spam for Ability Capsules and the like would see this as a godsend. 

I also did a bit more of exploring to level up everything that I can evolve in my box, and in the process I ended up with all the clues for the Cavern Pokemon, Terrakion. He's hanging out in the Lakeside Cave, and he sure is a cow. He's my favourite out of the Swords of Justice, but he's also a Pokemon I'm mostly indifferent to. That's two out of three, I suppose. 

Oh, and I got a random 'Futuristic Monocle' from Nia, a.k.a. that bizarre thing that Ghetsis has, so I guess she just she just gives me random items the more max adventures I go through? Sure. 

Peony's rare league card has him carrying a young, like, three-year-old Nia on his shoulders! He's basically confirmed to be the younger brother of Chairman Rose, but was a bit of a delinquent that was always compared to his shining star of his older brother, and actually became a Steel-type gym leader and a champion, but was swiftly beaten up by his brother. What an asshole, that Rose. Actually it kind of sort of explains why he dotes on his own daughter so much; he's had a rough childhood of being the unfavourite child! I like Peony more and more, actually. 

But then before I did too much max raid lair adventure dungeon, Leon gives me a call, and apparently there's something in the Wyndon stadium, and everyone is invited. This is the Galar All-Stars Tournament or whatever (I'm bad with terminology in this game, if you can't tell), and I do like the cutscene leading up to it, with the nice shots of all the gym leaders and rivals gathering in the court. We get a couple of cool shots, a couple of neat bits of dialogue between me, Hop and Klara. Klara is apparently a gym leader in the minor division (we'll never see said minor division, I guess) and she calls Hop 'Hoppykins'. Sure. 

The Galar Star Tournament is basically a huge tournament where you enter with an ally and fight three matches, which is pretty cool! I can pick from a selection of allies, but in my first run it's only Hop or Marnie. There's a bit of a tease when Ball Guy seems to be available to be your buddy in this run, but apparently he's not someone who battles. Boo, I say. BOO! Piers has a very delightful line of dialogue here where he refuses to be my partner because I keep dragging him into disasters. Considering the post-game of Sword/Shield... I can't blame him, actually. 

I pick Marnie as my partner, and set up my team with a mixture of the teams I've brought around throughout the run. I've been told that the enemies in the tournament are in the ballpark of level 70, so I picked all of my Pokemon that's around that level. So... I've got Inteleon, Hatterene, Shiny Drifblim, Galarian Slowbro, Runerigus and Appletun. Everyone else only brings 3 Pokemon, so I'm going to also respect that rule by only allowing myself to exchange between three pokemon in every battle. 

The first battle is against Milo and Nessa, and... yeah, I guess I can talk a bit about the battles here, since I actually mostly did max lair battles so there's not a whole ton to write here. It's my first battle impression anyways, so. The first battle begins with Morpeko and (Galarian) Slowbro versus Golisopod and Shiftry! I don't actually think Milo and Nessa have those two specifically in their usual championship battles? Milo and Nessa also have a fair bit of banter in this fight, which I do definitely appreciate. 

Poor, poor Morpeko gets absolutely wasted by First Impression, and Marnie has to send in a Scrafty. Meanwhile, my Slowbro also gets bamboozled by Fake Out. These first-turn moves, okay. The Shiftry and Golisopod then gang up and murder my poor Slowbro in the second turn with a Throat Chop and a Shadow Claw. I toss out my poor, underused Inteleon, who begins spamming Icy Wind to take out the Shiftry. The Golisopod Swords Dances (scary!), Scrafty does a Drain Punch on Golisopod, and Milo swaps in a Cherrim. 

Inteleon continues to spam Icy Wind, while Marnie's Scrafty thunder-punches the Golisopod and brings him low enough to activate Emergency Exit. Meanwhile, the Cherrim charges up a Solarbeam, doubtless aimed at my Inteleon. I swap it out immediately for an Appletun, who double-resists the Solarbeam, while Nessa gets a Toxapex on the field. The Solarbeam does like, ten damage total. The Toxapex does a Baneful Bunker, Scrafty Thunder-punches the bunker, but proceeds to shed the poison off immediately. That was actually very cool. 

Unfortunately for the Appletun and Scrafty combo on the field, turns out that Cherrim can do Dazzling Gleam! Somehow the fucking Scrafty survives that 4x effective move, Ice-Punches Cherrim to death, while Appletun apple acids the Toxapex, who returns with a Venoshock. Milo sends out Flapple, and we both Gigantamax in the next turn, leading to a hilarious dual giant Applin fight. I will always think it's kinda lame that they didn't have any differences between Giga Flapple and Giga Appletun, but it's still funny to see the two giant apple worms stare each other down. For whatever reason, despite my Appletun being in the yellow, Milo's Flapple takes out Marnie's Scrafty, while I one-shot the Giga Flapple with a Max Wyrmwind. 

It's a 2v1 with Nessa now, and Marnie's third Pokemon is a big scary Grimmsnarl. I take down the Toxapex (who spams Baneful Bunker) with G-Max Sweetness, which, I think, cures Grimmsnarl's poisoning? I never remember any of the effects of these special G-Max moves. The final Pokemon Nessa has is a Drednaw, who gets beaten half to death by Grimmsnarl's play rough, and my Appletun bullet seeds the Drednaw for extra disrespect. 

Second round! Versus Gordie and Bea, the Sword-exclusive gym leaders. I absolutely love that Marnie gets a little line of dialogue that has her go "oh, Fighting-types, I'm screwed" and tells me to take on the Fighting-types while she deals with Bea's Pokemon. That's kinda cool, actually. First round! Slowbro and Morpeko versus... Hawlucha and Shuckle! Poor Morpeko gets one-shot-murdered by the Hawlucha's High Jump Kick. Meanwhile, my Slowbro one-shots the Hawlucha immediately after with Psychic. Lost of one-shots going on here. 

Bea sends out Falinks; Marnie sends out Scrafty, and the two tussle immediately. Falinks leaves Scrafty at 10 HP after a Close Combat, while all Scrafty keeps doing is spam Crunch on Shuckle. That's all right, though, because my Slowbro just keeps one-shotting the Falinks with Psychic. Like Marnie said, I'm dealing with the Fighting-types here! Gordie's Shuckle is... he's kind of terrible, doing Rock Tombs and failing to kill a 10-HP Scrafty. 

Then there is a double dynamax between my Slowbro and Bea's Machamp... or, at least, I thought that was going to happen. Bea doesn't G-Max her Machamp, and the poor wrestler man gets absolutely massacred by my gigamega psymindstorm attack thing. Scrafty, meanwhile, somehow still survives on 4 HP, spamming Drain Punch to trickle-heal itself. Slowbro max geysers the Shuckle, and Gordie sends out a Tyranitar, who proceeds to body press the Scrafty to death, tanks a max geyser, nearly kill Slowbro with a Crunch, but gets killed off by Marnie's Grimmsnarl. Marnie's Pokemon are actually putting a lot more weight than I thought they would. Guess I was just used to the terrible AI of the Max Lair. 

Gordie's final Pokemon is the Gigantamax Coalossal, who my no-longer-Gigantamaxed Slowbro nearly one-shots by triggering Quick Draw and using Muddy Water. I completely forgot about Coalossal's steam engine, though, but while Slowbro falls, Grimmsnarl takes out the Coalossal. Five out of six Pokemon? Not bad, Slowbro. 

The final round is Piers and Raihan, who is... a bit of a weird duo. I guess if I took Hop instead of Marnie, this would make far more sense as Raihan and Leon? But either way, our 'rival' buddy gets to fight their older brother. Okay! Morpeko and Hatterene, versus Flygon and Skuntank! Piers pulls out a mic stand out of nowhere and keeps singing about how both of them will get absolutely fucked by Fairy-types... no, not really, Piers. I've fought you before, you're as likely to pull out Poison-types as Dark-types. 

I have a Hatterene that immediately goes Gigantamax, though, and I completely forgot that Fringe the Hatterene actually does have her G-Max form unlocked! I always find Giga Hatterene to be surprisingly eerie-looking with the glowing eyes and the suspended body inside the huge bubblegum shroud and the huge tentacle. It's actually one of my low-key favourite Gigantamax forms, due to how much it actually resembles the original Hatterene, but at the same time looks so different when you put them side by side.

I also completely never realized that Giga Hatterene's special move is called "G-Max Smite". SMITE! With the power of the forest, I shall smite thee! Hatterene SMITES the Flygon, and I think it causes confusion to the enemy's side of the field? Flygon does manage to get off a Sandstorm before I kill him, though, because Hatterene is a slow giant towering fairy bubblegum alien witch.  

Raihan's Goodra Sludge Bombs my Hatterene, which... doesn't kill her. She is a strong defensive giant tower, and I SMITE that dumb Goodra. The next creature that Raihan sics out is a Duraludon. Meanwhile, Skuntank and Morpeko has a little rodent slap-fight with Aura Wheel (which has an adorable animation) and Sucker Punch. Raihan's Gigantamax Duraludon uses Iron Head and somehow still doesn't manage to kill my Hatterene, and the giant metal building gets SMITED by my Hatterene. Marnie's Morpeko finally manages to kill the Skuntank, somehow, all the while swapping between its two forms. 

Piers' next Pokemon is a Toxtricity, which finally kills my Hatterene with Sludge Bomb. She tanked like three super-effective moves in addition to Sandstorm and a couple of Sucker Punches from Skuntank, I am impressed with her. Shiny Drifblim goes into the battle and one-shots the Toxtricity with Psychic. Piers' final Pokemon is an Obstagoon, which I completely forgot about. Obstagoon's typing nullifies Drifblim's Psychic and Shadow Ball, so I just Will-o-Wisp him... and Marnie just spams Aura Wheel and somehow manages to kill the Obstagoon. My Drifblim helps out with just one Thunderbolt. Good show, Morpeko, for someone who spends the first two fights getting absolutely one-shot-murdered, it actually held out and outlasted all six of the enemy's Pokemon. 

And that's the victory for the Galar Max Tournament, which is pretty fun. There's an adorable little scene where Leon is waving very, very energetically; Marnie is doing a 'yay.' slow, shy wave... and my character just looks confused and stands still before realizing he has to wave, too. Leon gives this grandiose speech about how this is going to be Galar's signature tournaments or whatever, and, of course, this is repeatable. A neat little announcement, and then he leaves it to the 'Maximizers', which is the name of the Toxtricity/Obstagoon/Rillaboom band. And the credits roll! I can't skip it!

The reward is a sport uniform (it's... it's just my regular one in the stadiums, right? That I can bring outside?) and... one million Poke-Euros! What the hell, and I had to spend so long a while back grinding the championship! Okay, fine. From what I can tell, the All-Stars Tournament basically is very much repeatable, I'm going to assume the tournament is randomized, and you unlock different allies as you progress through the game. 

We will close this off with another Shiny Pokemon! There is a shiny Claydol that I very nearly missed because all Shiny Claydol has different is a paler batch of eyeballs. Holy shit, the Shiny rates for this Max Adventure thing is pretty high, huh? I'm not sure if I'm just absurdly lucky (I still don't have the Shiny Charm) or if it is actually that awesome. I didn't freak out quite as much as I did with Drifblim, who was such a wildly different looking shiny, and it took me a bit of going, "wait, is it shiny?" which does take away from the hype factor. But it is, and I have yet another Shiny creature! My shiny, yellow-eyed Claydol is called "Eyedoll". Not sorry for the pun. I do like Claydol a reasonable amount, so I am excited! I just kinda wished Claydol's appearance was a bit more... over the top, instead of 'his eyes are a bit more washed out'. I think I ditched a Ho-Oh for this. It's baffling, because I haven't really been spamming the runs that much. I'm like, somewhere in the 15-20's when I got the Claydol! 

And... and that's about it for this segment of the let's play! And it'll probably be the final segment for a while because all that's left to do is catch the legendaries. I still have Virizion (and Keldeo, I was spoiled on that) to go through on the Crown Tundra, as well as the Ultra Beasts storyline, but that sort of stuff is nowhere as interesting to talk about as, well, the first impression of a battle or whatever. So until I've done enough in the Crown Tundra to really fit another Let's Play segment, this is it for now... I certainly had so much of a blast playing this, and I really did feel that from every single standpoint, Crown Tundra felt so much more content-packed than Isle of Armor was.

Random Notes:
  • Actually, since there's a 'minor division', does that mean that in Sword, Melanie and Alister are in the minor division, which is why our character never meets them? And vice-versa for Gordie and Bea in Shield?
  • The first tournament I go through has the rest of the fighters be Klara/Bede (the asshole rivals), Peony/Kabu (...older guys?), Hop/Opal (I guess this is just random) and two mystery competitors that is just ???/???. Wonder if we'll actually ever get to fight the ??? competitors, if it's actually secretly... I dunno who'd make for a good secret enemy, actually. Rose? Honey? Sonia?
    • In my first tournament, Peony and Kabu beat up the toxic rivals team, before being beaten by Piers and Raihan. meanwhile, the Sword-exclusives beat up Hop and Opal. The mystery competitors got beaten in the first round. 
  • One thing I really do appreciate about the All-Star Tournament? I get to wear my regular clothes instead of the butt-ugly jersey. I never liked the sports jerseys that you're basically forced to wear for the gym and championship battles. 
  • Krookodile can do Darkest Lariat. I'm not sure how, with those teeny tiny branch arms. 
  • Some dude on Stow-on-Side gives me a bunch of shit relating to the legendaries, like the Adamant Orb and the Reveal Glass. 
  • Piers and Marnie has a pretty fun little shit-talking fight between brother and sister, that's pretty fun. 
  • Since I've seen most of what Crown Tundra has to offer, I'll be working, finally, on the 'Gotta Review 'Em All' segment for Crown Tundra. Now that I've seen all the NPC humans, too, expect a human characters: Galar segment sooner rather than later! (I tried doing a Gotta Review 'Em All segment for moves, but I just find that I don't have much to talk about)
  • I guess I'll talk a bit about what I did in the following days after this part of the playthrough? I mostly just captured legendary Pokemon; again, Max Lair Max Raid Max Adventure is a lot less painful when you don't have animations on. I got an Entei, a Mewtwo, a regular Moltres and a Heatran (I keep forgetting that Heatran has genders). Nia also gives me some futuristic Cyclops shades. 
  • Nia then gives me rumours about some long-haired woman in the tundra graveyard, which is supposed to trigger a cutscene Oleanna showing up to look for President Rose, but it didn't trigger on my game. I did watch it on the Youtubes, though. It's neat, I like Oleanna. 
  • I did go through the championship a couple of times to farm for Poke-Euros, and I do like that there are some unique dialogue between characters. Basically you get to unlock more and more NPC's as your partners, from Hop and Marnie to Milo and Nessa to Klara. Klara has a Galarian Slowbro and Slowking; I kinda wonder why they didn't give either one of them a Gigantamax form. 
  • Leon and Mustard as a team end up being a duo of "we dramatically toss away our outer layer of clothing before an anime fight".

No comments:

Post a Comment