Sunday 29 September 2019

Let's Play Pokemon Uranium: Part 20: Rematch & A Butt-Ton of Cutscenes

171Trainer120Part 20 of my playthrough of the fan-game Pokemon Uranium! Last part I was dealt a horrific loss against one of the bosses, main villain terrorist-lady Curie and her pet legendary nuclear robot thing, Urayne. This one features both a rematch and an exploration of a bunch of plot.

Not too long, this time around, because it's sort of meant to be a single page with the previous part, but I split it up.



Right, back alive again. We're alive! Determination! Turn back the time to before all of this shit went down.


Goes without saying that thank god I brought my A-team to this location, allowing me to grind. There is no way to access your PC or go back and catch counter Pokemon or anything, because the design of Pokemon Uranium as a game is pretty... it's pretty odd, and there are places like this where you might very well make your game unwinnable and you get absolutely stuck here.

Uranium does a lot of impressive things for a fan game, but it's moments like this where I'd argue that it's a pretty unpolished game in some aspects.


Grind time, though, is pretty neat, especially considering the fact that we've got a whole ton of nuclear critters that die very quickly to everyone in my team other than Blight the Nucleon.


...huh. That's an Uranium-original move, and sort of explains why Mega S51-A's ability is Mega
Launcher. I kinda wished they gave us like a psychic or steel pulse attack, but Laser Pulse basically being what I assume is a sci-fi gun that rotates between three types is... it's interesting. It doesn't make Mega S51-A super-great, and I'm still going to be mostly using the mega for the stat boost more than Laser Pulse, but it's neat to have that option.


Nuclear E. coli getto da ze.


Haagross is actually a pretty cool gloop-worm-centipede-dragon creature. I would've used it in lieu of E. coli if I had encountered it earlier. I like these sort of wackier monsters. I don'tthink I've ever met a regular Haagross or its pre-evolution yet in this game, though.


Paraboom is just kinda there, though. I keep forgetting that Paraboom is evolved from Paraudio and I don't own one of it yet.

I didn't take a screenshot, but post-grinding my party's all level 65. You know, I would like it a lot better if the difficulty was in the technical aspect of the battle instead of "haha scrub you didn't grind enough", but that's a relatively minor complaint compared to the myriad of other complaints I have towards Uranium. Still a fun fan game, don't get me wrong.


Yeah, yeah, save your game. Got it.


Take the wrong turn in the 5-minute get-to-the-boss-in-time segment, and you meet a Nuclear Horde and the timer ticks down even as you battle.

However, the timer doesn't tick down when I'm in my bag selecting my super repels and healing items. Consistency!


Round two, you crazy lady in nuclear armour who is very likely to be Ura's missing mother!


This time, we're not dicking around, and I'm going to pull out the big guns first.


MEGA SHINKA DAAAA!


Mega evolution + STAB + Drought + priority + super effective + paper-thin defenses on the enemy's side. There is absolutely no way the enemy Nucleon is surviving this.


My Queen against your Queen! The queen of insects, long may she reign!


Xenoqueen has little T-rex arms and I find that hilarious.

Also, since Charlie put up Drought when he mega-evolved, The Queen can take advantage of it to unleash Fire Blast. Which, in turn, is enhanced by the Elementalist ability giving it STAB, as well as Life Orb. My queen is better than your queen, Curie. 


The Arbok died too quickly, but I used Psychic here, unleashing a 4x damage upon the nuclear snake. I like Arbok, but objectively it really struggles to really perform in the game. I had a FireRed Nuzlocke with an Arbok. It was an interesting challenge to make Arbok work, and I love the snake, but Uranium's Pokemon is just all so overpowered and broken that poor Arbok's never standing a chance.


The Queen comes out to face this fighting sheep demon man.


Nuclear Baariette is Dark/Nuclear, which means that since it's still Dark-type, it's one of the few types the Bug type is actually good at murdering. And The Queen is a legendary bug, and Baariette's nuclear type is also weak to bug. 4x super special effective murder time!


Life Orb takes out some of The Queen's HP, but it's worth it to make sure anything she hits really is dead.

Next up is a battle of legendaries, the God-Queen of all insects against a space nuclear robot!


OH FUCK

Urayne is faster and gains advantage from the Drought that I myself activated! Curses, foiled by my own hubris!


Well, at least Overheat will severely debuff the damn thing, which is why moves like Overheat is very much a double edged sword. . Good job, The Queen, you took out half of Curie's team. I still have five healthy Pokemon, and one of them is a mega-evolved angry dinosaur.


Come back out, Charlie!


Priority move just one-shots the legendary Pokemon. God damn Charlie, why do you even need Flamethrower? Flame Impact even works off of Mega Archiles' weaker physical attack stat.


No no no no!

...that's before the crazy supervillain gives me money for defeating her in battle.


ANGEREEEE BAD GUYS


Urayne shrunk in the bath, apparently. That's interesitng.


...yeah, Kellyn's a dick. I don't blame you guys wanting to escape his murderous wrath.


Apparently they can still teleport, because this storyline's not over yet. This leg of it definitely is, though I have a sinking feeling we'll get a long, long dialogue dump from the non-Curie supporting cast.

For a fan-game with a pretty heavy plot, sometimes I kinda wish that the dialogue was trimmed down a bit more.


Thank Arceus indeed. Y'know, that doesn't ever really sound natural. Kudos to Ryan Reynolds for figuring out that the only natural sounding way to cuss with Arceus is "Mother of Arceus".


Brief concern, then straight to business.


Pfft, the Ranger Corps. If anything, this game has really hammered home how useless they really are.


Oh, right. Theo. I completely forgot about him. He's, uh, floating in a tank with some dead eyes.


Oh the damn thing just breaks open. Or Theo's a ghost and just phases through the glass or something. I dunno. I really feel there's a missing chunk of dialogue where Ura activates the opening mechanism or something. I'm not sure if the game just has a weird transition, or I missed something in my screencaps.


Of course. Apparently every damn person in Tandor does.


Kinda is an option, but that's apparently an alternate, bygone timeline. Insert your own Dragon Ball time travel joke here.


Honestly, it's not Theo's fault? Sure, he was pretty noisy in front of the nuclear plant, wanting to join us and everything, but it's not like he's jeopardized this part of the mission too much.

Also, why the fuck did Urayne leave Ura in a room in the power plant, while Theo's stuck in the Lotus machine? For a prose that really likes to explain everything, Uranium has a bunch of logic loopholes that feels pretty m'eh.


He's so broken. I'm kind of sad.


You know, this game has shown it's willing to do these black screen transitions, I kinda wished we got a bit more of these just to make things flow faster. Because by god sometimes these conversations drag on and on and on. Particularly the one after Curie's first arrival.


Huzzah, Ura is a hero.


SAVE your game, seriously, SAVE it, otherwise you have to sit through a bunch of cutscenes and repeat that annoying five-minute run.


Oh apparently Cameron STORMBRINGER is back up, and we're using this excuse to sort of recap what just happened less than a minute ago.


Okay, Cameron STORMBRINGER, if you say so.


Who's giving you the names of all of these forms? It's really weird. Official Pokemon games would probably have the NPC's actually name the forms of a newly discovered legendary or something, or find like an ancient text that'll tell you about it, but just casually talking about alpha and beta forms in dialogue is just weird. I guess the implication is that Cameron STORMBRINGER, Interpol Agent, has access to information we don't?


Also, yeah, apparently he knows all about controlling nuclear Pokemon. Would've been kind of helpful to tell the Rangers or something instead of just disappearing, faking your death and sending anonymous tips. That's still a dumb move, mister STORMBRINGER.


By the rules of fiction logic, Theo's just doomed the plot and kind of makes it a shoo-in that Curie will find some uranium rods.

Also, just because they've exported rods out of Tandor doesn't mean Curie and Urayne are now weakened permanently. They could just, y'know, go out of Tandor to hunt down the rods, and then come back.


Very, very basic handwave about alternative energy sources. Other than the couple of "hey we did our research, have a nuclear science information dump" NPC's early on, the game really doesn't have much to do with nuclear plants and radiation other than as backdrop, huh? Which I suppose is for the best, actually.


So Cameron STORMBRINGER isn't just an Interpol agent, he's technically a rogue Interpol agent. So much badass tropes crammed into a single, anime-haired package, but we barely see any of it. The worst kind of storytelling is tell-don't-show, honestly.


Not telling Theo that Cameron STORMBRINGER is a secret agent = sensible, because Theo's kind of a doofus.

Not telling Theo that you're actually alive = kind of a dick move.


That's actually a pretty sweet end to this conversation, actually.


Traumatized Theo! Which is an interesting way to take a character in, if a depressing one. Y'know what? Despite some of my criticisms about this game's writing, I do admit that they really managed to make Theo end up being pretty interesting.


Right, now that I'm in the public eye and have saved the world, you suddenly want to be a dad, Kellyn? A bit too late for that.

Also, you've never been good at sentimental stuff because you're a shit parent.


Damn right my path is up to me.

I guess it's Victory Road time! They really end up clumping a shit-ton of plot between the ninja village and the championship, huh?


Bye, Kellyn.


Yeah. Bye, Kellyn. At least you apologized. Still a shitty man, though.


Bambo'o has finished making a device to purify the feral, berserk nuclear-corrupted Pokemon. Which... at this point in the game, is kind of pointless. The sheer amoutn of grinding the game requires means that if you wanted to use something like a nuclear Arbok or Baarriette, you really have to commit to grinding them either in the journey through the region, or take time to grind between this point and the league. It's not impossible, but it's so damn impractical, and just like the Fly HM, the distance in-game that you get between encountering these nuclear boys and being able to actually use them is too damn long.


D'awww you're a good boy.


My little nuclear box, showing a bunch of shit I've captured over the past couple of nuclear areas.

I purified the Gyarados for shits and giggles, but can't be bothered to do the rest. I already have a nuclear type in my party. Overall, kind of makes the rest of this box sort of wasted, huh.


I also want to post this here, apparently I get an adorable little egg for catching 100 Pokemon in the Pokedex. I don't aim to complete the pokedex because there are some that require trading that I'm too lazy to do, but I'll try to get as many as I can to show off the different species in this game.

Next up, I'll probably do a bunch of side-quests before tackling the Victory Road. I know of at least a couple I've missed.

Current and final team:
190138004098Icon89043

No comments:

Post a Comment