Wednesday 6 July 2016

Pokemon Sun & Moon: New Hawaiian Pokemon!

Generation VII and the Hawaii-inspired Alola region brings about a bunch of new Pokemon, and I sincerely hope we get a lot more than the handful we got in Generation VI. Pokemon XY certainly has the excuse of having to develop 3D models for the previous five generations' worth of Pokemon, so it has that excuse. But man, Sun and Moon better introduce a lot more! And, well, since the initial starter/legendary mascot reveal we've got around 13 new Pokemon to talk about, so I'm gonna talk about them and my first impressions of them.

This'll be a relatively quick post about my impression. Serebii is your greatest resource for up-to-date Pokemon news, so I won't really repeat what is said there, just my impressions and expectations of the little buggers that are released.


  • "Iwanko": One of the two Pokemon here that, as the moment of writing, hasn't had its English name revealed yet. Iwanko is a cute puppy Pokemon, which is cool. We've had lots and lots of dog Pokemon before, but there's a fair amount of dog breeds to choose from so it's nice to have these early-route dudes. Except, well, Iwanko is a pure Rock-type, not Normal like what you would expect from a dog Pokemon. Curious. Is there some Hawaiian myth about rock dogs or whatever? Eh. This thing probably evolves, but damn if he isn't a cute little puppy.
  • "Nekkoala": Yes, yes, koalas are an Australian animal. But here we have a koala Pokemon anyway. It's... well, a koala. Holding a cute little tree stump. And apparently it has a unique ability where the only status it can have is Sleep? That's an... insanely awesome ability, actually. A Pokemon that can't be burnt or paralyzed would be great in competitive and gameplay, so I sincerely hope that Nekkoala has a nice moveset and/or evolution so he isn't an underwhelming thing like Furfou from the previous generation.
  • Pikipek: Oh, man, it took us 20 years to get to a woodpecker Pokemon! Pikipek is an adorable little woodpecker bird. He's the Route 1 bird of this generation, and, well, he's a Normal/Flying type. He's the dude we got a early sneak-peek of during the very first announcement trailer of Sun & Moon. It's adorable! You generally can't go wrong with the first-route three-stage bird Pokemon anyway, 'cause birds are cool creatures. 
  • Yungoos: Look at this angry motherfucker! Yungoos is a mongoose, a far more realistic (and grrr so angry) one than Zangoose. He's a Normal-type, but I did like the lore that Yungoos is apparently an invasive species, just like real-life mongooses sometimes are. He's, well, a rodent. I don't think I've ever actually used an early-route rodent in gameplay other than for HM slaves, beyond a Raticate that I thought all sorts of crazy shit to just for laughs. I don't hate him, at least. 
  • Grubbin: Who's a cute little maggot-grub? You are! Grubbin is a squishy little maggot with the hugestest pincers and the cutest eyes ever. I find bug Pokemon cute, and I dislike Pikachu clones. Sue me. Grubbin looks to be the Caterpie/Weedle/Wurmple of the region, the three-part bug-type with a cocoon second stage.
  • Charjabug: Apparently the cocoon stage of Grubbin? It's not exactly confirmed, but the design cues like the two pincer things seem to imply that it's related to Grubbin. It's definitely related to Vikavolt. Grubbin is... a box. And a Bug/Electric type. He's a boxy battery, I guess? He's not the best-looking evolution out there, but you don't keep your Silcoons and Metapods more than two levels anyway, because...
  • Vikavolt: HELL YEA. Vikavolt looks like a boss. He just looks so awesome. Just this sleek dark-blue and yellow spiky murder-beetle with a gigantic taser-prong-shaped pincers. He's just so sleek and spiky and, holy shit, I think Vikavolt is my favourite Generation VII Pokemon so far. His art doesn't make him look that impressive, but man, his 3D model in the trailer does make Vikavolt look great. I love bugs (as long as they're not in my room) and I've always had a big appreciation for the early-route bugs, carrying Butterfrees and Beedrills and Dustoxes all the way to the Elite Four, and I've had a Scolipede in one of my Generation V games as well. And, man, Vikavolt just looks so badass. He's a Bug/Electric, too, which shares a typing with Galvantula, one of my all-time faves. 
  • Drampa: Drampa, the dragon grandpa, is a Normal/Dragon dual-type... did we not already go through all these 'let's slap Normal to random things' phase with Pyroar and Heliolisk in Generation VI? Drampa looks kind of derpy, kind of a very stylized oriental dragon thing. It's... ehhh. Whatever. I think it looks like a standalone Pokemon, though I could be wrong and he might evolve into the Pokemon equivalent of badass anime grandpas. I don't know. I just don't care enough.
  • Bruxish: Oh, man, what an ugly thing! Bruxish is based on a triggerfish, and being a gigantic aquatic life geek as a kid, I'm so happy that all these more obscure marine life are getting turned into Pokemon after a sore lack of marine life in Generation V and VI. Bruxish is a Water-Psychic, and, well, after my little geek-out over the triggerfish Pokemon is done... man, Bruxish is a very ugly thing, isn't she? She looks like a six-year old got into her mother's makeup table and, well, this is the result. Maybe she'll evolve into something cool? I dunno.
  • Cutiefly: Cutiefly is a Bug/Fairy, and, well, what do you expect a Bug/Fairy to look like? Cutiefly is cute. And she's a horsefly. She's just adowable and I want one to buzz buzz in my team and drop moons down on dragons. I hope she evolves into the most elegant wasp-fly thing ever.
  • Togedemaru: Wow, Pachirisu got fat. Yeah, he might have a cool Electric/Steel type, but Magneton he ain't. Togedemaru is the ugliest of the Pikachu clones, honestly -- he's literally a ball with a face, stubby limbs and a lighting bolt glued to its butt. At least with the likes of Bruxish you get where they are going with the concept. Togedemaru is just really bland-looking, and while I've never been fans of Pikachu clones (except Emolga, who's the coolest of the clones) Togedemaru just looks the most banal of them all.  
  • Tapu Koko: A Pokemon with a space in his name? HERESY! Tapu Koko is this Tiki-looking thing that just screams 'Hawaiian', and... he looks cool! He's got a cool cohesive orange/yellow/black colour scheme, he looks like this insane Tiki chicken god, with two giant shoulder-things that seem to come together to hide his main body, and these scythe arms... He looks weird and awesome. I like Tapu Koko. He's Electric/Fairy and he's apparently a guardian of the island? So maybe he's a set of four Legendaries or something? 


4 comments:

  1. Charjabug is 1000000000% times better if you just imagine his eyes are sunglasses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god I cannot unsee it now!

      Man, I really love Beedrill and Butterfree and Dustox and Scolipede but Vikavolt's evolutionary line might be my favourite starter bug!

      Delete
    2. And Tapu Koko having a totem evolutionary line sounds extremely interesting!

      Delete
    3. I think Tapu Koko feels like it's a single standalone (maybe legendary?) Pokemon, or one with multiple modes a la Aegislash, but I would be absolutely surprised if we don't get more Totem Pokemon in a Hawaii-inspired region.

      Delete