Monday 29 October 2018

My Hero Academia 203 Review: Iida Does Something



Boku no Hero Academia, Chapter 203: Flexible! Juzo Honenuki!


Brief tentative announcement -- I've begun to watch the Boku no Hero Academia, mostly because I got some of my good friends into watching it. I've been on-and-off about anime reviews, mostly centering around anime that I haven't watched before (Dragon Ball Super and Overlord), or on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, a series that I'm pretty passionate about. I haven't reviewed a lot of the other anime series I've watched recently, for the simple reason that I don't think I can do those episode-by-episode, or by default they're just so serialized that I really don't have much to say about the episodes beyond "I enjoy this". I think for Boku no Hero Academia's anime, I'll try and do seasonal reviews? Maybe I should do seasonal reviews a bit more often, I guess? We'll see.

Anyway,  this chapter is... it's another one that feels pretty short. We get a brief scene of Endeavour trying to reconnect with Todoroki, and I do like the balance between not shying away from just how utterly abusive Endeavour is to Todoroki, while at the same time trying to show his character growth. It's definitely something I respect this series for doing -- most manga tend to just frame abusive parents as straight-up asshole irredeemable parents, or to show that all their abuse somehow, through some logic, is actually something that strengthens their children. Or if you're Fairy Tail, you forgive every sin someone commits against you if they feel bad. 

Anyway, we're continuing with the fight between 1A and 1B, and I'm not going to do a play-by-play rundown. It's a pretty badass gigantic ice blast that Todoroki did, and we get to see some of the 1B class members' powers. The huge lynchpin of the team that Todoroki and Iida's group are facing against is Juzo Honenuki, who has the ability to soften anything -- seemingly in a pretty huge area, too. Interestingly, despite his pretty cool Tron-esque getup, he's the dude with the skeletal face!

One of the 1B dudes, Sen Kaibara, apparently has a pretty simple "spin my body parts" ability, and he fights against Ojiro the tail-dude. I really must ask what the school board is thinking, honestly -- unless Ojiro is able to do something spectacular with that giant tail of his, how the fuck did he get lumped into the 1A class when we have people like Kuroiro, Komori, Honenuki or Shishida with their far, far more impressive quirks? 

We also get to see Pony's quirk, which is just... horn boomerangs? Okay. It manages to take out Shouji, in any case. Tetsutetsutetsutetsutetsu fights against Todoroki in hand-to-hand combat, just bullrushing in and trying to cut off Todoroki's ranged attack advantage, while the cliffhanger-of-the-week goes to Iida breaking free from being trapped in the softened ice, because apparently in-between major arcs (and it's been a long time since Iida's been relevant) he's apparently improved his quirk and cut down the cooldown significantly. Okay, then. Overall, it's still more of the same "have you and you fight",  and it's still pretty neat. The chapters do feel a bit shorter than normal, though I'm pretty sure this whole arc is going to be one that'll feel a lot better in tankobon format. 

No comments:

Post a Comment