Tuesday 16 December 2014

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire 11: Too Much Water

More Alpha Sapphire.
Anyway, after being distracted by playing Zelda games, I hop back into Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, and finally capture Kyogre with a single Pokeball. There were a couple of resets, but I didn't care too much for a modest Kyogre and eventually said 'fuck it, this will do' with the, uh... naughty one I caught, I think? It's Sp. Atk up and one of the defenses went down, I don't remember which, but it'll do. Whatever. Save-resetting to find natures is one of the least fun things in these games, and I'm not about to let that ruin my enjoyment of ORAS.

Anyway, with Primal Kyogre and the Eon Flute in my arsenal, I first checked out just how Primal Reversion works on a random Pelipper. And apparently it just auto-transforms upon entering the field, and not something you have to press like Mega Evolution. All right, then! Primal Kyogre is powerful, and that Origin Pulse? The sound effect is like an actual explosion being set off and it kind of exceeded my expectations -- when I saw the trailer I thought Origin Pulse's animation as a bunch of rain orbs shooting water-laser things looked weak as opposed to Groudon stabbing people with a giant blade made out of cliffs.

Also I tested out Eon Flute, which is awesome. There's this bit of animation every time I activate and deactivate the Eon Flute, but whatever the case it's cool. I'm flying around Hoenn and there are a bit of controls to adjust for altitude and speed, but overall it's just, like, 'LOOK AT THE PRETTY STUFF'. It's beautiful, even if Meteor Falls looks rather odd seen from afar. I apparently cannot land in Pacifidlog or the southern water routes since I haven't been there before, which seems fair. There are a couple of glowy spots that I assume are where I fight legendary pokemon, and I enter one -- the Nameless Island, I believe? It's got a cave and in the cave is a lake in the shape of those Sinnoh lake imps, but I'm not going to do all these legendary-capturing just yet. I've a gym to beat, a victory road to cross and an elite four to dominate.

After teaching Kyogre Thunder, I entered Sootopolis Gym... which is pretty! It's been revamped, and while the essence of the puzzle (walking across ice tiles in one go to activate the next level) is essentially the same, the puzzles themselves are different, which is cool. Also, each level remains activated permanently once you walk over them once, which is a time saver. Kyogre completely demolishes everything in his path with Origin Pulse and Thunder and it is just so satisfying to summon lightning bolts and launch water laser grenades at all these fishies and crush them.

Wallace was a bit of a cakewalk, really. Wallace was a cakewalk back in generation 3, with his Milotic being the only thing that's a bit hard to kill with Recover. (Juan, on the other hand, and his damned Kingdra...) And he isn't much better now. There are some camp photograph moments and, well, I'm just not into Wallace's new design. It's weird. His team was completely one-shotted by Kyogre, except for Milotic, who survived with fake-Sturdy. I mean, come on, what water gym leader seriously uses Luvdisc and Seaking?

Afterwards, I get the HM for Waterfall from Wallace, which is what I wanted for Armstrong the Swampert, so I flew to Mossdeep (with the Eon Flute of course) and did some shuffling. Swampert now has Waterfall, whereas Kyogre has Dive because I know that Kyogre has special dive animation. And it's pretty fun just hanging out with Kyogre as I dive... though it's odd that I cannot challenge trainers. Kyogre just bumps into them and I can't press A. Diving on Kyogre is a bit unwieldy too but then I suppose it comes with the territory of being the size of a small whale. Kyogre can still encounter wild pokemon, though, despite the animation not showing it charging through the seaweed.

Whatever the case, I swim down from Mossdeep and explored the long stretch on the bottom that leads to Pacifidlog and eventually Slateport, and, well, I meet a couple of strange things. I heard an unfamiliar pokemon cry and when I sneaky-sneak up onto it, it turns out to be a Finneon, a generation 4 pokemon! And upon capturing it, it gets registered in the pokemon, but there is no data because the pokemon is... not recorded in Hoenn or something? That happened again with a Frillish, but I didn't really pay it any mind. I arrive in Pacifidlog Town and am a bit disappointed that they don't have actual Corsolas under the buildings and it's still the same bunch of woods. There's really not much to Pacifidlog Town other than some hints about the Regi puzzle and the Mirage Island Spots.

Trekking on westward with a Max Repel to keep those Tentacools and Wingulls at bay, I come across the fast currents and that was pretty quick. There were a couple of trainers who became exp. fodder for Kyogre. I then Eon Flute back to Littleroot Town to talk to Birch like Wallace said, and apparently generation 4 and 5 (and presumably 6) pokemon are native to Hoenn before, but have disappeared, and it's not until the apocalypse that Kyogre brought about that they somehow magically return. Or migrate back, I suppose. Birch upgrades my pokedex into the National Pokedex. And after Eon Fluting to the route closest to Ever Grande City, I guess I'll go on ahead and tackle the final stretch of the original Ruby/Sapphire story before heading on and doing the postgame. I'm pretty excited about the postgame, really. Lots of legendaries to catch, there's the whole Delta Episode thing, there are rematches and stuff, super training... maybe I'll throw Mimi the Milotic into a contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment