Tuesday 9 December 2014

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire Part 10: Rain-Induced Apocalypse

Even more Hoenn!
Instead of immediately going off to the Seafloor Cavern, I kind of... explored Hoenn. I just surfing the short route in between Petalburg and Dewford, looking at Regice's cave and having Terror the Voltorb electro ballin' everything on its sight. Then I kind of just went into the Granite Cave and mucked around for a bit, but it's going to need a fair amount of exploration to get everything from that cave.

Surfing Eastward towards Slateport, I zapped most of the swimmers and a bunch of surfing Ace Trainers and went to where the Abandoned Ship was in RSE, and it's apparently renamed the Sea Mauville now. Sea Mauville's gotten a fair bit of backstory beyond random-ship-that-capsized. Sea Mauville, formerly a factory or something owned by Mauville, is apparently became an unique ecosystem so it doesn't get taken down or whatever. So it's become a bit of a tourist attraction despite the fact that it's, y'know, a broken-down ship leaning on its side. Again, I just swooped in a bit and explored a bit and marveled at the pretty sights before going out.

And then the Trick House... I cleared the Strength puzzle. The thingie on the upper right gave me much more trouble than it was worth, but I got past it. The fourth (or fifth?) level is a Q&A thing with robots that send you back to the beginning if you pick the wrong answer, and they rotate the questions... there's a bit of crazy shit like asking how much money remaining if you sell an Escape Rope and buy an Antidote and all sorts of crazy trolly questions, especially after ridiculously easy things like 'which pokemon learns Scratch'. Then the next puzzle is a Team Rocket Base style floor-arrow-panel thing though some sections are covered. I'll just leave it for later.

I dived around a bit in the non-Seafloor-Cavern sections and captured a bunch of underwater pokemon in the seaweed. There are trainers underwater too! Divers or something. It's a bit surprising to see something like that, but hey, why not? I mucked around Sootopolis City and looked at the pretty remade version of this weird pretty isolated crater-town.

I backtracked to Seafloor Cavern, and easily cleared it out. Bunch of water-wave puzzles and strength puzzles and a fair ton of Aqua grunts, but nothing to really write home about.

We then get to see where Archie is awakening Kyogre, who is kind of in a bit of a gray chrysalis state or something. Archie has apparently beaten Maxie and then challenges me, and the next fight takes place atop of a crazy magic whirlpool thing. Archie uses a Mega Sharpedo! Which would be awesome if only my team doesn't hilariously outlevel it. Archie's cool, though. After his defeat Maxie and Shelly, who doesn't expect Archie to go that far, try to talk him out of it, but Archie activates the Blue Orb and Kyogre awakens! I'm a big fan on how Archie and my character are just in their serious, non-superdeformed models during this more serious cutscene.

Also, Kyogre kind of looks hilariously smaller than how its depictions in manga and anime make it out to be. I mean, I get that the pokedex makes him out to be that big, but still...

Normal!Kyogre dives out of the Seafloor Cavern and we get a pretty awesome cutscene of him just... breaching out of the water and roaring and summoning a shit-ton of rain. And a shit-ton of rain it does. We get a couple of dialogue similar to the original games about Maxie bitching to Archie about all the shit he's done, and Archie kind of regretting it... apparently he wants to make a pure world for all pokemon, including 'that one', which I'm going to assume it Jirachi according to that one picture in his base. Steven then shows up on a bird and gets to talk some more.

I kind of just ignored the gigantic crisis and flew around to Mossdeep, Lilycove and Sootopolis to see how the NPC's are dealing with the weather. We get some different dialogue and Sootopolis City has locked most of their houses. Also, instead of regular rain, we get Heavy Rain, the brand-new weather condition.

Everyone -- Maxie, Archie, Shelly, Steven and late-comer Wallace have kind of gathered in the Cave of Origin, and we get a bit of an introduction to Wallace who looks really, really weird in this generation. We get some dialogue between all the people involved, and they explain about how the Blue Orb will unleash the full power of Kyogre, while the Red Orb will quell it. Which kind of makes a lot more sense than how it was in RSE. Shelly gives me the Aqua Suit from the Team Aqua Hideout, which is nice that it wasn't completely ignored. May shows up and gets some cute little dialogue going on. Archie and Maxie mention how they're sending off their people to help out the civilians struck by the disaster, which is a nice touch.

The Cave of Origin's doors, which are a lot more fancier, then opens. Also, there's a derpy-looking Kyogre face painted on the doors. The Cave of Origin is a lot longer than it was before in RSE, and I do like how it's like winding down to the deepest part of the Earth as Kyogre's screams and earthquakes can be felt. I mean, it's just a 3DS game, but it does feel like they're making the best low-budget rain-induced apocalypse that they can.

I confront Kyogre in the chamber where I would do so in RSE, but Kyogre's facing away from me. Archie contacts me with the radio in the Aqua Suit, which I wear, and I just... hang on to Kyogre. It apparently just lets me play on its back. Kyogre dives down into the deep, deep ocean and I thought this bit was pretty cool. Kyogre brings me to this crazy cave filled with a shit ton of blue crystals that is a lot more appropriate for a showdown with this leviathan. And I do like how, at this point, my lower screen, the Pokenav, is just fritzed out and I can't do anything with it. There is only the battle with Kyogre.... and he Primal evolves into that crazy brand-new glowing form with alpha symbols and yellow markings and shit.

I captured him, of course (though I saved because I'm planning to save-reset until I get a Kyogre with a nature that doesn't suck) and afterwards we get a pretty long Sootopolis cutscene as there's just this big green pillar that explodes all the storm clouds away, and we get to see a bunch of people like Birch and the moms in Littleroot, Wally (who's made his way to Ever Grande City, good for him!), a bunch of Aqua and Magma grunts in Lilycove (including the dude playing with Wailmers) and Mossdeep... and Matt just walking away after seeing the heavy rain disappear. Interesting, Matt, what are you planning?

We get some nice little shippy dialogue between Shelly and Archie, and Shelly apparently will follow Archie wherever he goes. Maxie and Archie get a couple of discussion how while they worked with good intentions, they went too far, and seemingly leave in good terms, trying to get both their teams to cooperate and shit. May gets to talk a bit, and then Steven gives me the Eon Flute... which I haven't tried out.

Anyway, time to save scum for a Modest or Timid Kyogre. I'm not overtly a big fan of Nature-resetting, especially since the couple of times I did it I accidentally killed Kyogre (who's a beast when I don't capture him under five pokeballs), but since I get only one shot at owning Kyogre and it's not something I can breed, why not have a good one, yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment