Thursday 19 October 2017

Nanatsu no Taizai 239 Review: Chandler Falls Maybe?

Nanatsu no Taizai, Chapter 239


An... okay fight, I guess? It's not horrible, but I wouldn't say that I'm particularly in love with it either. I's just more of the same fights back and forth, Chandler blocks an attack, the Sins respond, Chandler mocks them, rinse and repeat. Ban does something this chapter by... holding Chandler in place. Yeah. Hawk does arguably one of the greatest contributions he does, ever, by licking the seal off of Chandler's hand that was locking Gowther in place. Which... um... yeaaaaah. I've gone on record that while I do like my comedy, sometimes you do have to know when to insert them, and when you're trying (and, arguably, already failing) to make me care about this fight against another oh-so-strong villain, it's certainly not the right spot to pop up with a visual gag. I dunno. The fight against Chandler and Chandler in general just feels like a side-quest in a video game against a character with generic hammy dialogue that some poor intern had to type in very quickly in thirty minutes and it's just "RAWR EVIL STRONGKT CRUSH YOU!" There's a time and place for those kind of villains, sure, but I dunno. Everything about Chandler and his other buddy from their introduction to their design to their generic personalities just makes them so, so boring.

The artwork's great, that two-page spread with King and Chandler exchanging their multiple blows is cool. Elizabeth heals everyone and they win because full heals. I think they win? Chandler seems to lose but I wouldn't put it past Taizai, especially after the last few fights, to have Chandler stand up in the next scene and be angry and access some ultimate form. 

No comments:

Post a Comment